Sunday, September 18, 2016

Nine Mile Canyon

The Pregnant Buffalo
This past weekend I took my first field trip with the Utah Rock Art Research Association (URARA) and got to see some of the rock art at Nine Mile Canyon.  The trip was every bit as spectacular as I had been lead to believe it would be.  The rock art is so extensive there it would take years to see it all, but I did get a good sampling of many of the well-known sites and quite a few of the lesser-known ones as well.

I've known about the rock art in Nine Mile Canyon for years, but have always put off going there because I didn't want to rush my visit.  The field trip with URARA took two days and lasted from 9:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. each day.  I had to leave early the second day, but still got a great introduction to the canyon and saw some stunning rock art.  I can only post a small fraction of what I saw and even then am only posting photos from sites that are already well-known to the public already.
Spider Woman 
Bandoliers
Big Owl
At Rassmussen Cave 
Also Rassmussen Cave
Big Buffalo
Fremont and Ute Figures at the same panel as the Pregnant Buffalo
Detail of the Family Panel


No comments:

Post a Comment